Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Artist: Ezzam Rahman


Ezzam Rahman is a practicing multi-disciplinary artist and an accidental filmmaker recently completed his Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Fine Arts from Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, University of Huddersfield. He was formally trained in LASALLE SIA College of the Arts. As an artist, he has participated and co-curate numerous local and international group exhibitions, events and festivals. Though Ezzam was trained as a sculptor, he is most comfortable with installation art and performance art and embarking into exploring performance in film. His works varies from the choice of medium, concepts and strategies of presentation. He favours narrative structure due to the ability to convey his ideas to the audience, to inform as well as to provoke them. Ezzam enjoys talking to himself and smiles to sleep.

I was honoured to be invited to this festival and what interested me the most was the location and where the festival is going to be held, Malacca. Though I am born and raised in Singapore, I am half Malaysian. My father came from Malacca and it has been ages since I last went back there. The work / performance art that I am going to present is a tribute to my father. His absence in my life and the very limited knowledge I know about him, his family and my original roots. The unresolved issues and the endless questions I have, unanswered. This performance dedicated to my father and I am sharing my part of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment